Monday, August 29, 2016

Binary files and How to Avoid Them in Google Classroom

Hit my first snag before my first classes started. I uploaded a Google doc to Google Classroom and it appeared with the words "Binary File" instead of Google Doc.


The result was that although I could open it, my students could not.

Turns out, it was my fault.

When you upload a Google Doc, you can choose the paperclip (upload from your computer) or the Google Drive symbol (upload from Google Drive).


If you have Google Drive installed on your computer, either one should be able to work, but that's where I messed up.

You have to upload Google Docs from Google Drive; do not use the paperclip!

The binary file is actually a link to to the URL of the Google Doc. Since both reside on your computer, it will work for you. But it won't work for your students.

4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! I have been struggling with this binary file issue for a week now in all of my classes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much I had so many students do this wrong last year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean I can delete all of the .file files from my google drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a generic extension. If you know what type of file it was supposed to be, you can try changing it to that extension (.doc .pdf etc) and see if it opens. If you can't open it,then it's useless. However, I'm just a guy on the web. Proceed at your own risk.

      Delete